Excel 2013 Inquire Addin improved IQ

In my previous blog post I complained that the Excel 2013 INQUIRE addin showed every single formula in A1 style, which is useless for recognising blocks of identical formulas.

So I’ve now done something about that – I am making available for free IQHelper, an Excel addin that further processes the Inquire Workbook Analysis Report, adds a column to the formula listing sheets showing the formula in R1C1 style, and then sorts and groups by that in order to bring identical formulas together.  It also makes the Summary sheet hyperlinked.

The VBA code is unprotected so you can improve on it if you wish – if so, please tell me how it can be improved!

Download from http://www.sysmod.com/IQHelper2.xlam


About Patrick O'Beirne, Excel/VBA developer

Patrick provides consultancy and training in spreadsheet automation, data analysis, testing and model review; and the Excel spreadsheet auditing addin XLtest
This entry was posted in Excel/VBA, Productivity, Risk and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Excel 2013 Inquire Addin improved IQ

  1. Pingback: EuSpRIG 2013 Conference report | Patrick O'Beirne @ sysmod

  2. Ian Wainwright says:

    Hi Patrick. I’ve been messing about with RibbonX coding and was running into a few issues with an error that starts “Multiple Custom UI parts were found in the file…”. To cut a long story short, I found that the message disappeared when I disabled the IQHelper addin (probably due to something I did at my end since is was loading fine before I started messing around). Further digging around identified a couple of issues with the addin, the main one being a mismatch between the onAction parameter in in the RibbonX XML and the Callback procedure name in the VBA script – the former (XML) being RunRibbonCmd and the latter (VBA) being RunRibbonCmdID. I also noticed that there is no VBA code for the HyperLink and Help buttons and that the HyperLink button has no onAction element (XML).

    I have a feeling that these issues might only be at my end (in which case please accept my apologies), but after a couple of adjustments to the file my issue disappeared and most of the buttons started to work (again?). If this issue is broader than just me, then I’d be happy to send you the amended addin file.

    Kind regards

  3. Thanks for that, Ian.
    Yes, it helps to have the option enabled to report user interface errors!
    I have now uploaded a corrected IQHelper2.xlam. Please download and try it.

  4. My eusprig paper on the full list of issues with the Inquire add in is at

    Click to access excel-2013-inquire-add-in-review.pdf

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s